Saturday, March 3, 2018

Dr. Dan Philips - Creative Houses


Dan Phillips (Dr. Dan) is pretty amazing and brilliant to boot!
In grad school I was in his Philosophy Class and couldn't believe it took that long to finally have the quintessential college class. He taught in a way that made your mind explode with ideas and insight. He challenged us, helped us learn to love learning, and he encouraged us to keep learning. 
This man was pivotal in my college years.
• I still wear the cat bone earrings he made. 
• My appreciation for eclectic "found" furniture started because of Dan and his wife.
• My love of classical music was nurtured by him. 
• My decision to homeschool hinged on the importance of helping my kids love to learn
(something I experienced in that philosophy class)
• My bookcases 
• My career in helping people get rid of toxins paralleled his move out of restoring furniture because of the toxins
. . . . thank you Dr. Philips!
Special notes about the Ted Talk:
@ the 5 minute mark, he dives into some light philosophy and it's luscious! 
@ the 6.50 mark he mentions Nietzsche and a very cool explanation of Apollonian and
Dionysian perspectives as it applies to design and what we find acceptable, beautiful, pleasing.
@ 9:15 " Labor is disproportionately more expensive than materials." True or false? Dan gives
a great answer along with a good story.  "Do the math!"
@ 10:25 he explains how Plato may still be having his way with us!
His notion of "perfect form" is mentioned
@ 10:50 he brings up mobile homes and lays down some very important fact leading into the
TOXICITY of those things @ 11:11 (out gassing of formaldehyde)
@ 11:45 He pulls it back together by mentioning the Apollonian Platonic model and the self
fulfilling prophecy that keeps us on treadmills
@ 12:20 I love the carbonated prune juice cracks
@ 12:45 Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre mentioned!
@ 14:25 I love that he calls it like it is. We are just like middle schoolers in our wanting to be like
the group we identify with
@ 15:00 We have confused Maslows Hierarchy of Needs. So true!
We need to reconnect with who we really are.
HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS GUY?



No comments: